Info Literacy Goals
> Select Appropriate Tools
> Search Efficiently
> Select Relevant Information Resources
> Retrieve Resources
> Critically Evaluate Resources
> Cite Resources
Librarians are experts in locating learning materials and assist in constructing resource-based assignments that promote understanding of content, critical thinking, and information literacy skills.
There are many ways to incorporate the use of library resources into class assignments without requiring a research paper.
Smaller scale assignments help students build confidence in their own research abilities.
Purpose of Course Assignments
An effective assignment:
- has a specific, understood purpose.
- relates to some aspect of course subject matter or learning objectives.
- leads to increased understanding of a subject or the process of locating information related to a subject.
- makes students aware of the variety of information sources and formats available (e.g., print, electronic, microform, video).
- teaches students to select and evaluate quality information sources appropriate to their topics.
- reinforces habits of ethical scholarship.
From: University of St. Thomas Library (Jan. 7, 2009)